The Coules Family

The Coules Family

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Celebrating Advent with Dirty Windowpanes...

Christmas is such a wonderful time of year…!  No matter what continent you live on, there are always thrilling Christmas festivities to be found in every culture around the world.  Here in France, the local Christmas markets are a wonder to behold.  Each year the decorations and the vendors are a little different, helping to entice people to come and to linger.  At the market, there are a myriad of possible gifts to purchase, roasted chestnuts to eat and chocolate samples to try.  It makes for a really magical evening!

But as I think about Christmas this year, my mind isn't always focused on the events of the season that are coming ever so quickly.  Instead, I am finding myself at times going back to the end of November when our church began celebrating the season of Advent.  Each week now during our services, we are reading passages of Scripture to remind us of Christ's Coming.  And as my thoughts continue, I find myself imagining that I am like a child at Christmas time, only instead of sitting in front of the tree laden with gifts waiting to open that special surprise, I am in front of a frosty windowpane looking outside, anticipating my Savior’s soon arrival.  

It’s true that mothers can sometimes be frustrated with the smudgy fingerprints that their kids often put onto their clean windowpanes.  But what if we were like those children as we wait for our Lord?  What if we were so excited about His return that we remained in front of the window gazing intently at the skies, so enthralled in the confidence of His coming that we pressed our faces to the window in anticipation?  

Christmas 2015... As I am thinking of Christmas and all the festivities that come with the season, my heart and my mind seem to be stopping for a moment and reflecting on what type of person I truly want to be.  I want so much to be like that faith-filled child with my hands and nose pressed against the window - waiting and watching … Dirty windowpanes or not!  
Come join me ... Let's make a mess of those windows as we anticipate that wonderful day!  =)
Joyeux Noël! 

No comments:

Post a Comment